- Cartwright, M. M. (2011, August 12). Child Beauty Pageants: What Are We Teaching Our Girls? Retrieved May 17, 2016, from https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/food-thought/201108/child-beauty-pageants-what-are-we-teaching-our-girls
This source would be useful to talk about the psychology behind the negative impacts on child beauty pageants. This article explains the type of disorders that result from participating in beauty pageants. This source would be useful to add a term stated in the article “princess syndrome”.
- Lindsey, C. (2013, March 13). The Ugly Truth to Child Beauty Pageants. Retrieved May 17, 2016, from http://calpoly.uloop.com/news/view.php/75660/the-ugly-truth-to-child-beauty-pageants
This article is beneficial to my project because it talks about a specific show on TLC called Toddlers and Tiaras that really can reflect my project. This source discusses the issues that are in this show that have an impact on the toddlers who compete. This article demonstrates the kind of ways the girls are dressed as “prostitutes” and how these pageants can ruin their childhood.
- Henson, M. (2011, September 13). Toddlers and Tiaras and Sexualizing 3-year-olds. Retrieved May 17, 2016, from http://www.cnn.com/2011/09/12/opinion/henson-toddlers-tiaras/
This source would be contributed in my project because I have a specific show I will be talking about as a major piece of evidence to use. In addition, my project is child based so this article on Toddlers and Tiaras is really helpful to prove how child pageants harm the childhood of young girls.
- Rubin, A. J., & Baume, M. D. (2013, September 18). French Senate Approves Ban on Pageants for Young Girls. Retrieved May 17, 2016, from http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/19/world/europe/french-senate-passes-ban-on-beauty-pageants-for-girls.html?_r=0
This source would be used in the global context of my project. This source states how France banned pageants because of the fear of girls becoming “hypersexual” and their childhood being destructive. This source is extremely beneficial since i am opposing beauty pageants; furthermore, France banning beauty pageants supports my argument thoroughly.
- Source People & Events: Origins of the Beauty Pageant. (n.d.). Retrieved May 17, 2016, from http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/missamerica/peopleevents/e_origins.html
- Gearin, M. (2011, July 30). Child beauty pageant sparks Melbourne protests. Retrieved May 17, 2016, from http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-07-30/am-child-pageant/2817312
- King, E. (2016, March 07). A Look Back at the Sexist, Racist History of Beauty Pageants. Retrieved May 18, 2016, from http://www.racked.com/2016/3/7/11157032/beauty-pageant-history
- Watson, E. (n.d.). The Racial Politics of Miss America | The Black Past: Remembered and Reclaimed. Retrieved May 17, 2016, from http://www.blackpast.org/perspectives/racial-politics-miss-america
- Are child beauty pageants wrong? (n.d.). Retrieved May 18, 2016, from http://www.debate.org/opinions/are-child-beauty-pageants-wrong
- Canning, A. (2012, February 08). 'Toddlers and Tiaras' Controversy: Mom Defends Feeding Daughter 'Pageant Crack' Retrieved May 18, 2016, from http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/lifestyle/2012/02/toddler-and-tiaras-controversy-mom-defends-giving-daughter-caffeine-pageant-crack/
This source would be beneficial in my root causes/critical perspective section because this article gives me the social issues that come along with pageants. It illustrates the type of lifestyle mothers can put their young girls into just for beauty pageants.